- 3 med red beets
- 1 large sweet potato (or 2 small to medium sized ones)
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 oranges, segmented
- 1/2 cup sun-dried cherries
- 1 cup candied pecans
- 2 cups arugula
- Nocellara Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or any EVOO of your choice)
- 1/4 cup Lavender Dark Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Blood Orange Fused Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 2 tbsp Grainy mustard
- 1/2 tbsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp Crushed black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Wash beets well, and trim the tops and the bottoms. Line a baking sheet with foil and parchment paper. Add beets.
3. Season with salt, pepper, and Nocellara Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Seal the foil and roast for 45 minutes to an hour, until a fork goes through easily. Remove from oven and once able to handle, peel and dice into 1.5” cubes.
4. Peel sweet potato and dice into 1.5” cubes. Place in a bowl and season with salt, pepper and Nocellara Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
5. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, add sweet potatoes and bake for 30-45 minutes, until soft to the touch and a fork goes through easily.
6. In a sauce pot place the rinsed quinoa and the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce and let simmer until the liquid has been absorbed. Let sit covered for approximately 10 minutes. Fluff using a fork before placing on plates.
7. Make the dressing by adding all the ingredients into blender and blitz until emulsified. Check for seasoning and add more salt and pepper as required.
8. Putting it all together: Place quinoa down on a platter (or alternatively can be done on individual plates). In a mixing bowl toss arugula, roasted beets, orange segments, and sweet potato with half of the dressing. Mix well and place on top of quinoa. Sprinkle with candied pecans and sun-dried cherries. Remaining dressing will keep for 2 months in the refrigerator.
Recipe created by Chef Connie Raso, The Olive Experience